第5章 名詞・冠詞・代名詞の発想
第27講 名詞の繰り返しを避ける
日本人が書く英文は同じ名詞の繰り返しが多い傾向
英語圏の人間が読むとイライラする
<学生の英作文>
I lived in Sydney. Sydney is the capital of New South Wales. When I went to Sydney, I was very nervous. But the people of Sydney were kind to me. For example, the people took me to the wild life park. At the wild life park, I could touch the koala, and I fed the kangaroos. They were really cute but very lazy. Every kangaroos slept all day long. However, the wild life park is one of my favorite places in the Sydney area.
<訂正1>
I lived in Sydney. Sydney is the capital of New South Wales. When I went to Sydney, I was very nervous. But the people of Sydney were kind to me.
→
I lived in Sydney, the capital of New South Wales. When I went to there, I was very nervous, but people were kind to me.
the peopleだと「シドニー住民の全員」という意味になる
<訂正2>
For example, the people took me to the wild life park.
→
For example, they took me to a wildlife park.
シドニー地方にはワイルドライフ公園が複数あるので不定冠詞の"a"を使う
<訂正3>
At the wild life park, I could touch the koala, and I fed the kangaroos.
→
I could touch koalas and feed kangaroos.
<訂正4>
Every kangaroos slept all day long.
<every + 名詞>は単数扱い
"every kangaroo"または「カンガルーたちは、皆」という意味なら、
The kangaroos slept all day long.
と訂正する。
<訂正5>
However, the wild life park is one of my favorite places in the Sydney area.
→
Even so, the wildlife park was one of my favorite places in the Sydney area.
"however"は「ところが。。。」といった反意的な意味あいが強くなる
「それでも。。。」という繋ぎの表現では"even so"を使う
