2021年10月16日土曜日

[晴れときどき英語のお勉強] 『英文法授業ノート』 032 比較(Comparison)⑤ 比較級を使ったさまざまな比較表現 Ⅰ




 032 比較(Comparison)⑤ 比較級を使ったさまざまな比較表現 Ⅰ



more than ~ 「~以上・~より多い」


more (A) than (B) 「(B)というよりもむしろ(A)」

※名詞が入るとき more of (A) than (B)


more or less 「多かれ少なかれ・多少/ある程度/だいたい」


sooner or later 「遅かれ早かれ/いずれは」


no longer ~ 「これ以上~ない・もはや~ない」


the (比較級) of the two 「2つあるうち~」


(比較級) and (比較級) 「だんだん・ますます~」


the (比較級①), the (比較級②) 「①すればするほど、ますます②」



【例文】


1 More than 50% of students go on to university.


go on to:進学する



2 She is more shy than unsocial [unsociable].

≒She is shy rather than unsocial.



3 He is more of a resercher than a teacher.

≒He is not so much a teacher as a researcher.


4 People are more or less dependent on each other.


5 We all have to do it sooner or later.


6 The textbook is no longer available.

「そのテキストはもう手に入らない」


7 Paul is the taller of the two.

※最上級の文法形式を使って2者間の比較を表現している

(the 最上級 of the three)


8 It is getting colder and colder.

「だんだん寒くなってきている」


9 The sooner, the better.

「早ければ、早いほどよい」


10 "The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.

The more I realize I don't know, the more I want to learn."

アインシュタインのことば