2021年8月29日日曜日

[晴ときどき英語のお勉強] 『英文ライティング特別講義』(マーク・ピーターセン著、旺文社、2018年) 第6章 接続詞・関係詞の発想 第32講 文体にあったつなぎ言葉の選択


岩波新書のロングセラー『日本人の英語』の著者、マーク・ピーターセン教授により英作文指南。全部で40講ありますので、あともう少しで終了です。


第6章 接続詞・関係詞の発想

第32講 文体にあったつなぎ言葉の選択


日本人の英作文で添削が必要な「つなぎ言葉」の例

(演説・学術論文にふさわしい硬い表現のつなぎことば)


furthermore, moreover, however, therefore


furthermore(副詞)の悪い使用例


My hometown has a very enjoyable shopping area. Furthermore,it has many parks.


→My hometown has avery enjoyable shopping area and many parks.


"as well as many parks", "and many parks, too"でも可



moreover(副詞)の悪い使用例 


This time I eill write about may family. Moreover, I want to write about may part-time job.


"moreover"は、比較的硬い言葉で、「しかも、しかもですよ」というニュアンス


→I will write about both my family and my part-time job.



however(副詞)も比較的硬い表現(演説・学術論文等で使う言葉)


悪い使用例

I was worried before the test. However, it was easy.


→"...the test, but it was easy."



学術論文の使用例では文頭に置く例が多いが、文中が納まりが良い


The results onf the experiments were not satisfactory. However, this does not mean that our theory is mistaken.


→"This does not mean, however, that..."



therefore(副詞、強い因果関係を表す)の悪い使用例


①Saeko sneezed. Therefore, I gave her three tissues.


→Saeko sneezed, and I gave her three tissues.



②I often to out to clothing boutiques to look at new fashions. Therefore, I want to be a buyer for a department store.


書き手の意図している因果関係と英文が逆になっている


→In the future, I want to be a fashion-buyer for a department store, and I often go out to clothing boutiques to look at new fashion.



上記2例の"and"の使い方「(結果の意を含んで)それで、だから」という意味


You needn't worry. She is a pro and will know that to do.

(心配しなくていい。彼女はプロで[プロだから]どうすればいいか分かるはずだ)