2024年4月27日土曜日

[あの頃のレコード] テイラー・スイフト『エヴァーモア』(2020年)

 [あの頃のレコード] テイラー・スイフト『エヴァーモア』(2020年)



新譜でもあの頃のレコードでもありませんが世界的な歌姫、テイラー・スイフトをちゃんと聴いたことがなかったので、ジャケットが素朴で気に入った2020年のアルバム『エヴァーモア』をアマゾンで注文しました。アナログ盤はカラー重量盤で2枚組です。本日は2枚目のA面です。


特徴としては、結構1曲が長い。詩がむやみに韻を踏んでいる。

等身大の女性の想いを語りかけるような歌い方で歌っている。


繰り返し聴いていると癖になりそうです。


4曲目は亡くなった歌手であったTaylorの祖母であるMajorieさんへの追悼曲だそうです。



LP 2

Side A

01. ivy

02. cowboy like me

03. long story short

04. marjorie


01. ivy

How’s one to know?

I’d meet you where the spirit meets the bones

In a faith-forgotten land

In from the snow

Your touch brought forth an incandescent glow

Tarnished but so grand


And the old widow goes to the stone every day

But I don’t, I just sit here and wait

Grieving for the living


Oh, goddamn

My pain fits in the palm of your freezing hand

Taking mine, but it’s been promised to another

Oh, I can’t

Stop you putting roots in my dreamland

My house of stone, your ivy grows

And now I’m covered in you


I wish to know

The fatal flaw that makes you long to be

Magnificently cursed

He’s in my room

Your opal eyes are all I wish to see

He wants what’s only yours


Oh, goddamn

My pain fits in the palm of your freezing hand

Taking mine, but it’s been promised to another

Oh, I can’t

Stop you putting roots in my dreamland

My house of stone, your ivy grows

And now I’m covered


Clover blooms in the fields

Spring breaks loose, the time is near

What would he do if he found us out?

Crescent moon, coast is clear

Spring breaks loose, but so does fear

He’s gonna burn this house to the ground

How’s one to know?

I’d live and die for moments that we stole

On begged and borrowed time

So tell me to run

Or dare to sit and watch what we’ll become

And drink my husband’s wine


Oh, goddamn

My pain fits in the palm of your freezing hand

Taking mine, but it’s been promised to another

Oh, I can’t

Stop you putting roots in my dreamland

My house of stone, your ivy grows

And now I’m covered in you

And I’m covered in you


So yeah, it’s a fire

It’s a goddamn blaze in the dark

And you started it

You started it

So year, it’s a war

It’s the goddamn fight of my life

And you started it

You started it


Oh, I can’t

Stop you putting roots in my dreamland

My house of stone, your ivy grows

And now I’m covered in you

And I’m covered in you



02. cowboy like me

Written by Aaron Dessner & Taylor Swift


And the tennis court was covered up

With some tent-like thing

And you asked me to dance

But I said, "Dancin' is a dangerous game"


Oh, I thought

This is gonna be one of those things  ※1

Now I know

I'm never gonna love again

※1 ”one of those things”は「よく起こること」「驚くに値しない、仕方のないこと」などを表す。


I've got some tricks up my sleeve

Takes one to know one ※2

You're a cowboy like me

※2 ”Takes one to know one” は、「その人を知るためにはその人である必要がある」などという意味。


Never wanted love

Just a fancy car

Now I'm waiting by the phone

Like I'm sitting in an airport bar


You had some tricks up your sleeve

Takes one to know one

You're a cowboy like me


Perched in the dark

Telling all the rich folks anything they wanna hear

Like it could be love

I could be the way forward

Only if they pay for it

You're a bandit like me


Eyes full of stars

Hustling for the good life ※3

Never thought I'd meet you here

It could be love

We could be the way forward

And I know I'll pay for it

※3 "hustling for the good life" ただお金を稼ぐのではなく、この曲の主人公は詐欺師としてお金を騙し取ることで富を得ようとしています。


You're a cowboy like me


Perched in the dark

Telling all the rich folks anything they wanna hear

Like it could be love

I could be the way forward

Only if they pay for it

You're a bandit like me


Eyes full of stars

Hustling for the good life

Never thought I'd meet you here

It could be love

We could be the way forward

And I know I'll pay for it


And the skeletons in both our closets ※4

Plotted hard to fuck this up

And the old men that I've swindled

Really did believe I was the one

And the ladies lunching have their stories about

When you passed through town

But that was all before I locked it down

※4 ”skeleton in the closet”は「他人に知られたくない秘密を(持っていること)」


Now you hang from my lips

Like the Gardens of Babylon ※5

With your boots beneath my bed

Forever is the sweetest con

※5「バビロンの空中庭園(Hanging Gardens of Babylon)」は「世界の七不思議」の建造物の一つ。絵によると非常に豪華な建物ですが、実在したかは不明。


I've had some tricks up my sleeve

Takes one to know one

You're a cowboy like me


And I'm never gonna love again

I'm never gonna love again

I'm never gonna love again


03. long story short

Fatefully

I tried to pick my battles 'til the battle picked me

Misery

Like the war of words I shouted in my sleep

And you passed right by

I was in the alley, surrounded on all sides

The knife cuts both ways

If the shoe fits, walk in it 'til your high heels break

*Taylorはヒールを履いて気高く歩くことを、他人の期待に沿って生きることに例えています。


And I fell from the pedestal

Right down the rabbit hole

Long story short, it was a bad time

Pushed from the precipice

Clung to the nearest lips

Long story short, it was the wrong guy

Now I'm all about you

I'm all about you


Actually

I always felt I must look better in the rear view

Missing me

At the golden gates they once held the keys to

When I dropped my sword

I threw it in the bushes and knocked on your door

And we live in peace

But if someone comes at us, this time, I'm ready


And I fell from the pedestal

Right down the rabbit hole

Long story short, it was a bad time

Pushed from the precipice

Clung to the nearest lips

Long story short, it was the wrong guy

Now I'm all about you

I'm all about you


No more keepin' score

Now I just keep you warm

No more tug of war

Now I just know there's more

No more keepin' score

Now I just keep you warm

And my waves meet your shore

Ever and evermore


Past me

I wanna tell you not to get lost in these petty things

Your nemeses

Will defeat themselves before you get the chance to swing

And he's passing by

Rare as the glimmer of a comet in the sky

And he feels like home

If the shoe fits, walk in it everywhere you go

*もう周りの誰も気にしないで生きなさい、というメッセージです


And I fell from the pedestal

Right down the rabbit hole

Long story short, it was a bad time

Pushed from the precipice

Climbed right back up the cliff

Long story short, I survived

Now I'm all about you

I'm all about you


Long story short, it was a bad time

Long story short, I survived



04. marjorie

Never be so kind

You forget to be clever

Never be so clever

You forget to be kind


And if I didn't know better

I'd think you were talking to me now

If I didn't know better

I'd think you were still around


What died didn't stay dead

What died didn't stay dead

You're alive, you're alive in my head

What died didn't stay dead

What died didn't stay dead

You're alive, so alive


Never be so politе

You forget your power

Nevеr wield such power

You forget to be polite


And if I didn't know better

I'd think you were listening to me now

If I didn't know better

I'd think you were still around


What died didn't stay dead

What died didn't stay dead

You're alive, you're alive in my head

What died didn't stay dead

What died didn't stay dead

You're alive, so alive


The autumn chill that wakes me up

You loved the amber skies so much

Long limbs and frozen swims

You'd always go past where our feet could touch

And I complained the whole way there

The car ride back and up the stairs


I should've asked you questions

I should've asked you how to be

Asked you to write it down for me

Should've kept every grocery store receipt

'Cause every scrap of you would be taken from me

Watched as you signed your name Marjorie

All your closets of backlogged dreams

And how you left them all to me


What died didn't stay dead

What died didn't stay dead

You're alive, you're alive in my head

What died didn't stay dead

What died didn't stay dead

You're alive, so alive


And if I didn't know better

I'd think you were singing to me now

If I didn't know better

I'd think you were still around

I know better

But I still feel you all around

I know better

But you're still around