2024年4月27日土曜日

[晴れときどき英語のお勉強] CHAPTER 5 助動詞 5-2 助動詞の過去形 5-2-3 could




 CHAPTER 5 助動詞 5-2 助動詞の過去形

p219

5-2-3 could 


[カクシン] canに「もしかしたら」(仮定法)が含まれる


(1)メインの用法

①仮定法

②丁寧表現

③可能性


(2)過去形としての用法

①過去の可能

②過去の可能性…文法では重要度が低く割愛

③canの過去形


[例文]

(1)メインの用法

①仮定法

②丁寧表現

Could you send me the revised schedule?

You could just buy it online and have it delivered to your house.


(1)メインの用法

③可能性「(ひょっとしたら)~することがありえる・かもしれない」

There could be rain showers tomorrow, so make sure you bring an umbrella.

Everyone, be careful! Anything could happen!

It couldn't be trure.(そんあことはあり得ない)

(=It can't be trure.)


[+α]会話で使われるCould be.

It could be. / Could be. 「もしかしたらね」



(2)過去形としての用法

①過去の可能

③canの過去形


You could see more stars here twenty years ago.

I didn't know what I could do for here.


could(もししようと思えばいつでも「できた」) と be able to(一時的な能力) の違い

She could run fast when she was young.

(若い時彼女は(そうしようと思えばいつでも)早く走ることができた)

Gayle was able to find a new job less than two weeks after she quit.

(一度だけできたという意味)


[応用]「できた」という表現

was able to ~ ※苦労・努力をわざわざ伝えたいときに使う

managed to ~

succeeded in -ing

I met him. ※会話文では過去形で「できた」を表現する


[+α]キレたときの How could you?

「一体どうやったら(how)そんなことができた(could)わけ?」


[追加英文](英文和訳)

I could talk to Roy about this issue, if you'd like.

Operating your microwave oven with no food inside it could damege the appliance.


[例外]過去の一度きりの出来ごとでもcould を使う場合

I'm glad that you could come. that節中での使用

How could you? 決まり文句