Point 16. 日本語とはかなり違う代名詞の使い方
・日本語訳には表れていない代名詞もある
・itにはさまざまな用法がある
・不定代名詞の使い方に注意
・both, all, each その他を受ける数(動詞)に注意
223. When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.
※天候・時間・距離などを表すit
224. It is your turn now. Good luck!
※「~の番だ」
225. Didn't he tell you about his new plan of ours?
※<this new plan of ours>の語順になる。cf. <a friend of mine>
226. His first reaction was one of fear.
※「恐怖の反応」はいろいろあるので<one of fear>となる
227. Gasoline taxes in the United States are substantially lower than thoes in Europe.
※「ヨーロッパのガソリン」と比較しているので<thone in>が必要
228. The original is quite informal, and so is this translation.
※「~もそうである」<so + be動詞 + 主語>
229. I've lost my umbrella. I have to buy a new one.
※これから買う予定の傘は不特定のものなので<a new one>とする
230. "Did you see any musicals in London?" "Yes, I saw some."
※複数のミュージカルを見たので(×)Yes, I saw one. (〇)Yes, I saw some.
231. "Do you like dogs?" "Yes, I like them very much."
※犬について一般的に質問しているので冠詞をつけないで複数形にする
232. Red wine goes well with meat dishes, and white is perfect with fish.
※ワインは不可算名詞。(×)a white one is ~
