2024年9月7日土曜日

[積読立読斜読] 『英語で日本語を考える』(片岡義理著、ちくま文庫、2024)その5

p96

「現実性のある話というよりも、それはまだ夢の段階だと言ったほうがいいですね」

That would be more a dream than an option.


option:「現実性のある話」


「やってみろと言ったって、実現性よりもリスクのほうが大きいんじゃないでしょうか」

That woud be more a risk than an option.

 



 p88

「不安ですねえ。ずっと不安ですよ。だって、これがいったいどういうことなのか、まだ完全にわかっていないわけですし、

これからどこまで広がっていくかも、つかみきれてないのですから」

I'm nervous and I'm going to stay nervous. Because we haven't completely defined what this looks like and we haven't completely defined how far this is goin to go.


p90

「値段は下がるべきですよ、上がっちゃいけません。本来そういうことでしょう」

The price shoud go down, not up. It's not the way it's supposed to be.


p92

「そんあものは、ぶっつぶれるのがいちばんいいと、みんな思ってますよ」

We'd like nothing better than to see it collapse.


p93

「お知りになりたいのではないかと思いまして」

I thought you would want to know.


p94

「動詞の時制は、行動や出来事あるいは状態が、いつにあったのかを示すと同時に、それらについて書かれたのがいつであるかの関連をも示します」

The tenses of verbs indicate when an actual action, event, or state of being took place


and show it's relation to when the word aoubt that action, event, or, state of being were written.


p96

「現実性のある話というよりも、それはまだ夢の段階だと言ったほうがいいですね」

That would be more a dream than an option.


option:「現実性のある話」


「やってみろと言ったって、実現性よりもリスクのほうが大きいんじゃないでしょうか」

That woud be more a risk than an option.


p98

「この数年間に記録されたほどの大きな株式による利益が、この先さらに続くのを求めるのは、

現実的な態度とは言いがたいのです」

It woudl be less than realistic to look for a countinuation of stock market gains of anything like the magnitude of those recorded for the past years.


p100

「そんなに単純に割り切ってはいけないよ」

The problem demands far more delicate approach than to simply cut it in half or to split it in two.


p102

「きみがいてくれるなら、この世のなかも捨てたものじゃないよ」

The world is worth bothering about if there's you in it.


p104

「世のなかなんて、どうだっていいじゃないか」

Does the world seem to you worth bothering about?


p105

「会いたいねえ。話だってあることだし」

I hope we could get together.

There are things we ought to talk about.


p107

「いったいなんのことかしら」

Whatever are you talking about?


「あなたはなにについて喋っているのか」

What are you talking about?


「いったい」「かしら」の語感を英語に加える

what → whatever (強調)