2024年9月14日土曜日

[積読立読斜読] 『英語で日本語を考える』(片岡義理著、ちくま文庫、2024)その6

p125

「女性は誰でもたいへんに

マリリン・モンロー的なものを持っているのです」

 

There's a side to every woman

that's very Marilyn.

 

very Marilyn:

たいへんにマリリン・モンロー的なもの




 p109

「あなたにこういうことをされるとは、思ってもみなかったわ」

I did not think you could do this to me.(話者の気持ちが軽い)

I woudn't have thought you would do this to me.



p110

wouldを使った表現

「いったいなぜそんなことをなさりたいの」

「ご自分だったら、どうなさったでしょうか」

「下限はどのくらいをお考えなのですか」

「あれこれ喋ってみても始まらないんですよ」

「自動車のことはお詳しいですか」

「お話をできればと思うのですけれど」

「そんなふうに考えるのは、私のほうが甘いということでしょうね」

「TVがあるからこそ、ソファの位置がきまるわけですよ」


Why would you want to do that?


What would you have done?


What is the minimum you would condider?


It wouldn't do any good to talk about it.


Would you say you know a lot about cars?


Would it be possible for me to talk with you?


But such a conclusion would be naive on may part, wouldn't it?


Without a TV, how would you know where to put the sofa?



p113

「ただいま電話に出ることができません」

I can't come to the phone right now.


「メッセージをお残しください。折り返し電話いたします」

Leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.



p115

「春というものの魅力は世界共通のものですけれど、春のきざしは場所によっていろいろと違います」

The appeal of spring is universal, but the signs are local.



p117

「これからのことを考えなさいよ。終わったことを振り返っても、しようがないでしょう。これからしかないんだから」

Try to see where you are going, not where you have been.

Get yourself headed in the right direction.



p118

「創造とは、確実な道を捨てること、と言っていいいのではないかしら」

Creativity  can be described as letting go of certainties.


p120

「いい反応は得られないかもしれないということを考えておかないとね」

We risk a negative response.

risk:反応はネガティヴであるかもしれない可能性を承知して行動すること


p122

「でも、と言うな」

Get that but out of your talk.

(あなたの喋ることのなかから、でも、という言葉を取り払え)


p123

「頭に浮かんだことは、まず紙に書いてみなさい」

Get your thoughts down on paper.



p125

「女性は誰でもたいへんにマリリン・モンロー的なものを持っているのです」

There's a side to every woman that's very Marilyn.

very Marilyn:たいへんにマリリン・モンロー的なもの


p127

「仕事部屋ではあらゆるものが手をのばせば届くところにあるんですよ」

I have everything within easy reach of my workspace.



p128

「将来的にはさらにいろいろと可能性はあると思いますけれど」

I wouldn't rule out further possibilities in the future.



p130

「こういうところへ来ると、なにもかも忘れてぼけっとしますよね」

When you are out here, you stop thinking and just let it happen.

out here:いつもの場所とは距離的にも質的にも大きくへだった場所である



p132

「私があの人たちにあたえた自分よりも、あの人たちが私にあたえてくれたもののほうが、

はるかに大きいように思うのです」

I feel that they had given me much more of themselves than I had given them of me.



p134

「どのくらい急いでいらっしゃるの?」

「たいへん急いでいます」

Just how much of a hurry are you in?

A big one.



p134

「なんと言ってもいちばん嫌なのは、自分はどうしてこんなに間違った判断をしたのだろうと思うときなの」

The worst thing is feeling, how could I have so misjudged?