2024年9月7日土曜日

[あの頃のレコード] 10cc "How Dare You!" (1976)




 レッド・ツエッペリンとかローリングストーンズばかりが

ロックの王道であるなら、ロックは随分と息苦しいもにになるのでは。


10ccはロック史に残る偉業を為した偉大なバンドでは決してありませんが、けっこう暑苦しい70年代のロックシーンにあって洒脱な肩の力の抜けた良作を継続的に出したバンドです。


なんとかならないか日本語タイトルの『びっくり電話』("How dare you!")(1976年)は10ccの4枚目のアルバムで中心メンバーだった4人編成再度のアルバムです。本日駅前の中古レコード屋「GROOVIN'」に寄りましたら480円のバーゲン品でありましたので購入して聴き直してみました。




アルバムはコンセプト・アルバムではありませんが、何故か電話に関係する曲が多いのでヒプノシスによるこのジャケット・デザインになったそうです。


「アイム・マンディ - "I'm Mandy Fly Me" - 5:22」は"I'm not in Love"と並んで10ccの代表曲。個人的には「ロックン・ロール・ララバイ - "Rock 'n' Roll Lullaby" - 3:59」が好きです。


収録曲

サイド1

ハウ・デア・ユー - "How Dare You" - 4:16

レイジイ・ウェイ - "Lazy Ways" - 4:17

世界征服 - "I Wanna Rule the World" - 3:57

アイム・マンディ - "I'm Mandy Fly Me" - 5:22

氷山 - "Iceberg" - 3:43


サイド2

芸術こそ我が命 - "Art for Art's Sake" - 5:59

ロックン・ロール・ララバイ - "Rock 'n' Roll Lullaby" - 3:59

ヘッド・ルーム - "Head Room" - 4:21

電話を切らないで - "Don't Hang Up" - 6:19


[all music より]

How Dare You! Review by Donald A. Guarisco

After scoring their commercial breakthrough with "I'm Not in Love" from 1975's The Original Soundtrack, 10cc continued to build on their good fortune with How Dare You. It didn't spawn another massive hit like "I'm Not in Love," but it is a well-crafted album that shows off 10cc's eccentric humor and pop smarts in equal measure. This time, the hit singles were "I'm Mandy Fly Me" and "Art for Art's Sake." The first tune is the fanciful tale of a plane crash victim saved from death by the stewardess of his dreams that plays out a poppy mock-exotica musical backdrop while the second is a tongue-in-cheek parody of commercial-minded artists set to a rocking, cowbell-driven beat. Elsewhere, How Dare You pursues a similar mix of zany humor and pop hooks: "Iceberg" brings its tale of a frigid romantic partner to life with an incredibly intricate and jazzy vocal melody, and "I Wanna Rule the World" is a witty tale of a dictator-in-training with enough catchy riffs and vocal harmonies for two or three songs. How Dare You loses a bit of steam on its second side when the songs' tempos start to slow down, but "Rock 'N' Roll Lullaby" and "Don't Hang Up" keep the listener involved through a combination of melodic songwriting and typically well-crafted arrangements. In the end, How Dare You never hits the giddy heights of The Original Soundtrack but it remains a solid album of witty pop songs that will satisfy anyone with a yen for 10cc.



『レコード・コレクターズ』(2022年6月号)「70年代のロック・アルバム200」で堂々121位。