2022年4月20日水曜日

[晴れときどき英語のお勉強] 『英文法授業ノート』 083 否定文(negative sentences)②

 


083 否定文(negative sentences)②


否定語の位置…英文でnotの位置で否定する内容が変わる


<不定詞句>

※述語動詞の否定、不定詞句の否定、で意味が変わる


I tried to speak to him.


I tried not to speak to him.

「話しかけないようにした」


I didin't try to speak to him.

「話しかけようとしなかった」



He told me to open the box.


He told me not to open the box.

「開けないように言った」


He didn't tell me to open the box.

「開けるように言わなかった」



[例文]


1 I tried not to think about the nightmare.

「私はその嫌な夢のことは考えないようにしました」


2 I told them not to be noisy.

「私は彼らに騒がしくしないように言いました」


3 I'm not asking you to forgive me.

「私のことを許してくれなんて言いません」


cf.述語動詞の否定

I didn't tell them to be noisy.

「騒がしくするように言わなかった」


cf.不定詞句の否定

I'm asking you not to forgive me.

「私を許さないようにお願いします」




<that節>


※ I think (that) + 否定文の形は「~でないと思う」と断定的な判断を表すことが多い


※ I don't think (that) + 肯定文の形は「~だとは思わない」と直接的な否定を避ける言い方

会話では好まれる表現


I think (that) it is a good idea.


I think (that) it is not a good idea.


≒「よくない(悪い)」というニュアンス


I don't think (that) it is a good idea.

≒「よい案の条件を満たさない(ふつうの案)」というニュアンス



[例文]


4 I don't think (that) it is difficult.


5 I didin't think "vegemite" was delicious.


6 I hope (that) it will not rain tomorrow.


※hope はthat節を否定する形のみ

(×)I don't hope (that)…