Point 5. 能動態か受動態かは文脈できめる
059. This castle was built in the 4th century.
※動作主不明または話題にしない場合は受動態。
060. Much remains to be studied.
「まだ研究されたいないものが多い」(論文なのでの定番表現)
061. Lots of accidents are caused by careless driving.
062. This bridge is not used very often.
063. I had my bike stolen last night.
「自転車を盗まれた」
064. After the war, he was engaged in farming.
※engageは受動態で使うことが多い
065. I was made to leave the room.
「私は部屋を立ち退かされた」
※使役動詞makeの受動態は<be made to...>になる。
066. The man was dressed in a dark business suit.
※「着ている」<be dredded in>
067. The bank was closed all day yesterday.
068. The solution was heated at 100℃ for 5 hours.
「その溶液は100℃で5時間熱せられた」
※実験のプロセスに重点を置く場合は受動態。
069. Ice cream sells well on hot days.
※能動受動態の動詞(日本語訳では受動態「売れる」になる)。
070. What is being discussed?
「何が議論されているのですか?」
※whatを主語にした受動態の現在進行形。
071. I was advised by the doctor to lose weight.
072. The launch of the space shuttle will be put off
at leaset three months.
「延期される」
※put off 句動詞(他動詞)はそのまま受動態になる。
これからの話なので未来形になる。
073. The argument went on for a long time and
was recorded on tape.
※前後の節で能動態と受動態になる例。
argument:議論
074. This port is known to people all over the world.
※意図的に知ろうとして知った場合はbyを用いる。
075. Many people were killed in the earthquake and tsunami.
※災害などでの被害は<be killed>を使うことが多い。
