2024年5月3日金曜日

[晴れときどき英語のお勉強] 第4章 助動詞 第2節 助動詞の用法 35B mightの用法

 例文の質はこちらが良いので。同じ内容です。





第4章 助動詞 第2節 助動詞の用法


p83

35B mightの用法


時制の一致

The clerk asked me if he might help me.

(= The clerk sad to me. "May I help you?")


(1)相手の許可を求める「~していただけますか」

Might I have a few moments of your time?

≒I wonder if I might have...(上例よりさらに遠慮深い表現)


[発展]依頼から軽い命令の意を含む場合がある

You might at least let me have a brief answer to my e-mail.


(2)推量「(ひょっとしたら)~かもしれない」

現在もしくは未来のことの推量

Be careful. This medicien might make you drowsy.

I might be spending sseveral weeks in Edinburgh this summer.


・見込みを表す場合はmayよりもmightを使うことが多い。


[発展]<might have + 過去分詞>「~したかもしれない」(過去のことの推量)

I might have said this before, I can't empasize it enough.


35C may, mightを含む慣用表現 

(1)<may [might] well ~>

①「~の可能性は十分にある」②「~してもおかしくない」

They may [might] well be working on nuclear inspections.

You may [might] well have various questions about BSE.


(2)<may [might] as well ~>

「しょうがない」という気持を表す慣用表現

←「どうせ~しなくても特に利点のないのだから」

We may as well go downtown - there's nothing interesting here.

= might as well got downtown as not


The world will very soon be all-digital one, and we might as well get used to it.


(3)<may [might] as well ~as ...>

「…するのは~するのと同じだ」

You might as well expect the river to flow backward as expect to change my opinion.


・あり得ないことを言う場合にはmightがよい。


[Helpful Hint 21]  might as well ~の正しい意味

「~したほうがいい」(△)

「どちらにしても同じ(損はない)」


We might as well go back home.

=We might as well go back home as not go back home.