2025年3月15日土曜日

[晴れときどき英語のお勉強] 第3節 分詞構文(participle syntax)

英文法はいつもはTOEIC講師の中村澄子先生の文法書で投稿してますが、
「分詞構文」のところがよくわからないのでこちらで勉強しました。


 p167

第3節 分詞構文(participle syntax)

83 分詞構文の形

分詞構文とは

「動詞+ing」「動詞+ed」の分詞(participle)を使って

副詞節を句の形に圧縮したもの


「時」「理由」や「継起」(等位接続詞的)を表す

日常会話では用いることは少なく、書き言葉が主体


83A 分詞構文の形

(1)現在分詞

Driving on th ehighway, I saw a large sign that said "Think! Don't drink!"

(2)過去分詞(受動の意味)

Persuaded by my advisor, I attended the conference.

(指導教官に説得されて、私はその会議に出席した)


83B 分詞構文の意味上の主語

主格のまま分詞の前に置くのが原則

修飾する文の主語と同じ場合や、漠然と一般の人を表すときには省略される


(1)省略の場合

①意味上の主語と修飾する文の主語が同じ場合

Singing merrily, they started towards town.

The Iraqi children greeted us, waving little flags.


②意味上の主語が漠然と一般の人々を指す場合

Strictly speaking, Great Britain consists of Scotland, Wales and England.


(2)意味上の主語を入れる場合

It being Sunday, we were invited to church at six.


83C 分詞構文の時制


(1)単純形の分詞は、文の述語動詞と同じ「時」を表す

Feeling tired, I went to bed early.


(2)完了形の分詞は、文の述語動詞の表す「時」より前の時を表す

Having already seen the film, I kewn the story.

(Because I had already seen the film,, I knew the story.)


83D 受動態の分詞構文

<being + 過去分詞>、<having been + 過去分詞>で表すが省略されることが多い

省略された場合、83Aの過去分詞の分詞構文と同じ形になる

Written in plain English, this book will heop you to understand the law of

motion and gravitation.


83E 接続詞を頭につけた分詞構文

分詞構文は簡潔な表現なので意味があいまいになる場合がある

意味強調のため接続詞を分詞の前に置く場合がある

While waiting for the train, I noticed a strange man standing on the opposite 

side of the platform.

(=While I was waiting for the train, I noticed a strange man standing on the

opposite side of the platform.)


84 分詞構文の表す意味

84A 比較的よく使う単独の分詞構文

(1)時

Driving along the highway, I was a sign that said "Watch for Falling Rocks."

Reading through the book, I found that it contained a large number of

factual mistakes.

(2)原因・理由

Being young, he hadn't had a great deal of experience in life.

(3)付帯状況

I was lying in bed,, watching TV.

(4)動作や出来事の継起

Opening the box, he laid the paper inside and shut the lid.


84B 接続詞を文頭につけて使う分詞構文

(1)条件

At intersectons, when [if] going straight,, cyclists shoudl use a through lane.

(2)譲歩

While admitting that he had "acquintances" in the party, he stressed he was 

not a member of the party.

acquaintance:知人


85 独立分詞構文(文語的)

85A 独立分詞構文(文語的)

分詞構文の主語が本文と違う場合、分詞の前に主語(主格)を置く用法

Holly swung her head around, her hair flying through the air.

Early planting has its benefits, weather permitting.

weather parmitting:天候が許せば(成句)


85B 懸垂分詞

省略


85C <with + 独立分詞構文> 「~しながら」という付帯状況を表す

The drummer used to play with his arms waving about in the air.

You can even tell the difference with your eyes closed!

The stature of the Amida Buddha is seated with his legs crossed.


86 慣用的独立分詞構文(慣用句)

分詞の意味上の主語が一般の人々を指す

「~と言えば」、「~判断すると」、「率直に言って」等の意味

Speaking of music, I like various genres.

Juging from the look of satisfaction on her face, that wine must have

tasted awfully good.

considering his age, his health has been remarkable.

Frankly speaking, I don't want to seei my name on that list.

taking everything into soncideration, are yoou satisfied with your

marrige?