2021年9月4日土曜日

[晴ときどき英語のお勉強] 『英文ライティング特別講義』(マーク・ピーターセン著、旺文社、2018年) 第6章 接続詞・関係詞の発想 第33講 相関接続詞の使い方

 



第33講 相関接続詞の使い方


日本の英文法書の「相関語句」…2つ(以上)の物事を関連づけて述べる表現


英語では、correlative conjunctions(相関接続詞)という


either...or, neither ...nor, not only ...but(also), no sooner ...than,



[例文]either...or


Either a copy of your My Number Card or copies of your Notification Card and a personal identity verification document (driver's license, passport, etc.) need to be submitted.


動詞の形は最も近い主語を受ける(例文の場合はcopiesに近いのでneedとなる)



[例文]


Neither I nor my parents are satisfied with the new intercom.



[例文(訂正前)]


I bought three shirts, three pairs of sox, and two sweaters that were on sale.

(文の意味があいまい)


[例文(訂正後)]

①全部がセールだった場合

I bought three shirts, three pairs of sox, and two sweaters, all of which were on sale.


②セーターだけセールだった場合

I bought three shirts and three pairs of sox, as well as two sweaters that were on sale.




"...instead of ..."…直裁な表現でストレートに感じる「その代わりに」


"...rather than..."…2つを比較して「一方を選んだ」、品格がある表現



[例文(訂正前)]

It is possible to go to Toyama either by plane or by train, but I thought that it would be more comfortable to go by train instead of by plane.


[例文(訂正後)]

..., but I decided to go by train instead of [rather than] by plane.


①「2つの行き方を比較して、一方を『楽である』と評価した」場合は、"...rather than..."を使う


②「最初は飛行機で行く予定だったが、その後、気が変わって電車で行くことにした」場合は"...instead of ..."、"...rather than..."どちらでも可



[例文]

Now I use butter instead of [rather than] margarine.

「クッキー作りで、依然はマーガリンを使っていたが、今はその代わりにバターを使う」という経緯・背景があり「今、私はマーガリンの代わりにバターを使う」