p98
Unit 7 Do you prefer traveling alone to vacationing with a friend?
主張A 賛成 自由なひとり旅のほうが好きだ
I prefer the freedom of traveling alone.
I have tried going places with a friend in the past , and it was always a hassle.
We didin't want to do the same things, and we ended up wasting time arguing about what to do and not do.
By the end of the vacation we practically hated each other!
When I take a vacation, I want to make the best use of my time and avoid unnecessary stress.
So, for me, traveling alone is the best solution.
I can sleep as late as I want or get up early as I want.
I can do anything I choose, or just stay at my hotel reading a book. I nver feel that a second of my time is wasted.
I will never go back to compromising with someone about my precious vacation time.
It's one of the few cahces in my life to feel completely free.
hassle:わずらわしいこと
argue about:~についてもめる
practically:事実上
compromise:妥協する
precous:貴重な
主張B 反対 旅の体験は人と分かち合いたい
I think traveling by myself is a bore!
I want someone that I can share my experiences with.
I the past I have traveled with family members, friends and romantic partners, and the experiences have all been wonderful.
To me nothing matches the excitement of exploring a new locale with someone you care about.
Sightseeing and dining in a foreign country is not something to do alone.
The value of the experience is completely lost, I fee. I tried it once, but after three days I was so lonely and bored that I ended up cutting myu vacation short, and returned home.
I learned my lesson that time, and will never make the same mistake again.
主張C 中立 旅の目的地によって判断すべきだ
I think it depends most upon the destination. If I am planning to travel someplace where I will possibly face danger,
I certainly want to have someone along with me. For example, maoutain treking can be dangerous, and some popular tourist destinations have a crime problem.
If I go missing while traveling alone, who would know? It might take days or weeks before people can start searching for me. We need to have people who can watch
out for us when traveling in such situations. On the other hand, if I am just heading to a quiet veach resort and all I want to do is read, sunbath, and maybe shop a bit,
I am fine with going by mayself. It makes easier for me to do what I came to do, which is relax.
what I came to do 「私がやりにきたこと」(what は先行詞を含む関係代名詞)
