UNIT 16は一度学習したけど、すっかり忘れていて、再度タイプしました。
UNIT 16
Is nuclear energy safe for earthquake-prone Japan?
地震の多い日本にとって原子力エネルギーは安全でしょうか?
主張A 賛成
基準や罰則を強化して稼働を継続すべき
① Japan is a major industrial country with a population above 100 million. I wonder if people realize just how much energy it takes to keep such a country running. Lacking abundant fossil fuel deposits, we need nuclear energy to play an important role in meeting our energy requirements.
② The Fukushima accident was a disaster, but it ultimately came down to human error. I am furious about the lax safety standards at the plant, every time I think about it.
③ But that doesn’t mean we should shut down our nuclear program. Rather, what it mean s is that we should increase inspections, increase training, and increase penalties for infractions.
④ People working at the plants face the greatest risks. You would think that even if they can’t be bothered to think about the safety of the country, they would want to do whatever it takes to protect them selves!
主張B 反対
被爆国、地震大国の日本に原発は不要だ
① Japan is uniquely aware of the horrors of radiation.
② As the only country ever to be attacked with nuclear weapons, our position is unique. Furthermore, as a country that experiences more than 10 % of the planet’s earthquakes, we are doubly unique.
③ Therefore, I am bit ‘NO’ when it comes to nuclear energy. It isn’t worth it.
④ When the Fukushima meltdown happened, I was traumatized. It felt like the monster that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki had awoken to do more damage to my country. I still live in fear of the next accident being far worse.
⑤ There have to be other ways to supply our energy needs without threatening our lives. Japan is one of the world’s top engineering countries. Surely we have the ability to produce safe, sustainable and renewable energy. What we need is the political will to do so.
主張C 別視点 将来的に原発はより安全になるだろう
① I believe that Japan has not been cautious enough in its adoption of nuclear power. It is obviously risky to build nuclear power plants on an island archipelago that experiences frequent earthquakes.
② On the other hand, one thing that many people don’t realize is that nuclear energy is evolving, with producers putting increasing safety at the top of their priorities. We aren’t there yet, but I believe that day will soon arrive when nuclear energy options available.
③ Certainly safer than offshore drilling. Just think of all the horrendous oil spills that happen far too often. And even oil spills have become less common due to increased safety innovations implemented by the fossil fuel industry.
④ Nuclear energy is a renewable energy that has great potential; a potential that can be fully realized once it has become safer.
