2021年5月17日月曜日

[晴ときどき英語のお勉強] 『英文ライティング特別講義』(マーク・ピーターセン著、旺文社、2018年)第4章 修飾語句の発想 第18講 onlyの使い方から考える自然な英語表現 


スローリーディング中の『ピーターセンの英文ライティング特別講義40』、
本日は第18講「onlyの使い方から考える自然な英語表現」を読みました。

英語ネイティブは<not only A but also B>という、日本の英作文ではお馴染みの成句を使わない方が、自然な表現に受け取られるそうです。






 ■副詞の only の位置は、onlyのすぐ後ろの部分が文意を正確に伝える決め手となる

①She only kissed me on the cheek.

彼女は私のほおにキッスしただけだ(他には何もしていない)


②She kissed me only on the cheek.

彼女が私にキッスしたのは、ほおにだけだ(私のそれ以外のところにはキッスしていない)


③She kissed only me on the cheek.

彼女がほおにキッスした人は私だけだ(私以外には誰のほおにもキッスしていない)


④Only she kissed me on the cheek.

私のほおにキッスした人は彼女だけだ(彼女以外には誰も私のほおにキッスしていない)



■<not only A but also B>の成句は、英語圏の人にはなじみがない

使わない方が自然な英語になる



<学生の作文>

When I go to New Zealand, I want to try not only studying but also many other activities.


<訂正>

When I go to New Zealand , in addition to studying, I also want to try some outside activities.

ニュージーランドに行ったら、私は勉強するだけでなく、課外活動もしてみたい


<学生の作文>

During my study abroad, I want to improve not only my English ability but also my general communication skills because I am a little bit shy.


<訂正>

I am a little bit shy, and when studying abroad, I want to improve more than just my English - I'd like to improve my general communication skills as well.

私は引っ込み思案なので、留学している間、英語力だけでなく、一般のコミュニケーション技術も向上させたい



<学生の作文>

I want to learn not only world culture but also foreign languages there.


<訂正>

While I'm there, I want to learn about other cultures and to study some foreign languages, too.

私は、向こうにいる間、日本以外の国の文化について学び、いくつかの外国語も勉強したい


<学生の作文>

From these experiences, I learned the importance of not only studying English but also trying to understand foreigners' way of thinking.


<訂正>

These experiences taught me the importance both of studying English and of trying to understand the ways of thinking of people from other countries.

これらの体験は、英語を勉強することと外国人の考え方を理解しようとすることの両方の重要性を私に教えてくれた