2021年7月1日木曜日

[晴れときどき英語のお勉強] 『英文法授業ノート』(北村孝一郎著、ぺりかん社、2018年) 018 動名詞(gerunds)③ 動名詞の慣用表現Ⅰ




 018 動名詞(gerunds)③ 動名詞の慣用表現Ⅰ


【例文】

1.Don't be afraid of making mistakes.

be afraid of -ing 「~することを恐れる」

of以下は動名詞のみを取る


2.I am fond of reading books.

be fond of -ing「~することを好む」


3.She is good at speaking English.

be good at -ing 「~することが得意である」


≒She is a good speaker of English.

She can speak English well.


4.I am used to traveling alone.

be used to -ing 「~することに慣れている」


※cf. I used to travel alone.「よく一人旅をしたものだ」


I used to go to the movies every Sunday, but now I do not.

「日曜日はいつも映画に行ったものだが、今はいかない」

(今は行かない、を強調)


I would often go to the movies when I was young.

「若いころはよく映画を観に行ったものだ」


「would」 は「ある一時期だけの習慣」や「不規則な習慣」を指す際に用います。

(今現在行くか行かないかは関係ない)



5.I think the movie is worth watching.

be worth -ing 「~するだけの価値がある」


≒I think it is worth watching the movie.

I think it is worthwhile to wathch the movie.


6.I cannot help eating too much at the Buffet.

cannot help -ing 「~するのをどうにもできない」「つい~してしまう


≒I cannot (help) but eat too much at the Buffet.


7.I don't feel like eating anytihg.

feel like -ing 「~した気がする」


※cf. I feel like I'm getting a cold.

「かぜをひきそうな気がする」

feel like -ing, feel like...の違いに注意



8.I am looking forward to seeing you soon.

look forward to -ing 「~することを楽しみにしている」


to以下は動名詞をとる


9.You shouldn't put off going to the dentist.

put off -ing 「~することを延期する」


10.How about talking over (a cup of) coffee?

how about -ing? 「~するのはいかがですか」


※提案

What do you sa to -ing?

Why don't we -?


友人同士の会話では、Do you want to -?の形が多く使われる



Thank you for -ing 「~してくれてありがとう、感謝しています」