2026年8月20日木曜日

[晴れときどき英語のお勉強] 『英語で話す力』(長尾和夫+アンディ・バーガー著、三修社、2025年)

 10:35 2026/08/19


■Unit 26 Shoud women keep their own surnames after getting married?


●主張A 中立 片方の名字を選べる現行システムでよい


①I think the current rule, where a maride couple can take either surname, is the best.


②Although traditionally, the husband's name is taken, there are exceptions. 

I think it is a fair rule.


③Furthermore, I feel that society will continue to offer more opportunities to women in the future. So, we will see more cases where the wife's name is selected. Eventually, it might be just as common one way or the other.


④So, we already have a good rule in place that prepares us for the future days of growing equality.



●主張B 賛成 結婚時に名字を変えるのは時代錯誤だ


①I am opposed to people changing their names when they get married.

I have no intention to change my name when I do.


②In older days, women were thought of as property. Those wre the times when rich prople would buy slaves, and marrying was basically another form of slavery. The woman was owned by the man. So, I think the custom of changing your name when you get married reflects an older, less developed period in our culture.


③There is nothing wrong with people keeping their own name.


④It might create a few problems for banks, government offices, etc., but they can be easily solved.



⑤There is no reason to keep an old-fashioned rule.



●主張C 別視点 片方の姓をミドルネームにするのがいい


①The problem with keeping both names comes when a married couple has children. 

The child can't have two surenames, so eventually a choice will have to be made. 

Keeping both names just puts off the decision until a child is born.


②Here is what I think is a good solution. In many countries, such as the U.S., people

have middle names. Why not use one surname as a middle name? 

I think it's a very convenient idea, because it makes people easier to be identified.


③For example, you might have two Taro Suzukis working at the same comapny, right?

But if my system would be adopted,  you would have Taro Ueda Suzuki and Taro Watanabe Suzuki. Just like John Fitzgerald Kennedy!


④I trurly feel that this is the best solution.