2026年8月22日土曜日

[晴れときどき英語のお勉強] 『英語で話す力』(長尾和夫+アンディ・バーガー著、三修社、2025年)Unit 36 Do we need all the security cameras in public places?

 


Friday, August 21, 2026

P272
Unit 36 Do we need all the security cameras in public places?
公共の場所にたくさんのセキュリティー・カメラは必要でしょうか?

主張A 反対 監視が強まれば将来が心配だ

I personally feel that the prevalence of security cameras is more about government spying on its own citizens than preventing crime. Its like we live in George Orwell’s ‘1984.’

Because of modern technology, satellites connected to these camaras, we can be tracked down at any time. The government can know what stores we go to, who we meet. It’s scary!

It’s an invasion of everyone’s privacy. Privacy is one of the most fundamental huma rights, I feel.

Security cameras are like a tradeoff between safety and freedom, and so many people want to feel safe all the time that they let the government spy on them.

I am well aware this world has dangers, but I don’t want to be followed everywhere I go by Big Brother.


主張B 賛成 カメラは犯罪防止に役立つ

The only people who complain about security cameras are people who have something to hide. I am a good citizen, and I obey all the laws, so why should I care if cameras track me?

Those cameras are there for a reason, to prevent crime. They are also extremely useful in finding criminals when a crime has been committed.

We should definitely use technology to make our world safer, and that’s precisely what these cameras do. 

World anyone complain if a security camera was useful in catching someone who robbed them? Plainly not.

Therefore, I think it is obvious that all those cameras provide a valuable service.


主張C 中立 プライバシーとの兼ね合いが問題だ

I am somewhat on the fence about this. 

On the one hand, I feel that it is right to be concerned about the invasion-of-privacy aspect of this situation. On the other hand, I think most people would have to admit they feel a bit safer knowing that criminals can be caught in the act through these cameras. Who wouldn’t want that?

But I think the situation could get out of hand, if it hasn’t already. 

For example, private establishments such as hotels, banks and restaurants should be strongly prohibited from placing cameras in places where people insist upon privacy, such as restrooms and bedrooms. It is absolutely wrong to have cameras installed in such places. And employers shouldn’t have cameras to catch their employees going off, I feel.

The cameras should be used to prevent crime, NOT to find out everybody’s secrets!